11 June 2018
Executive Director Aziza Hasan on California Voting Habits
The Sacramento Bee, reporting on Californians who do not show up at the polls on Voting Day, turned to community experts for answers as part of a series on “California Influencers.” NewGround executive director Aziza Hasan, named a California Influencer herself, recommends an emphasis on further voter engagement and relationship building in increasing turnout. Read the full article here and the Bee’s list of Influencers here.
8 June 2018
Jewish Journal on NewGround’s Annual Community Iftar
On May 31, 2018, NewGround hosted its largest Iftar to date. The Jewish Journal covered the different elements of the event program in an article on “Movers & Shakers,” a series written by NewGround alum Ryan Torok. Read to find out more about how we opened the evening!
16 May 2018
NewGround Featured in Associated Press Discussion on U.S. Jews and Muslims
In following the U.S.-Israel Embassy move to Jerusalem, the Associated Press opens an article on Muslim-Jewish relations in the United States with a conversation with NewGround executive director Aziza Hasan. This article has been featured on the Washington Post, WLNS, and the Times of Israel.
10 May 2018
Executive Director Aziza Hasan on “White Anxiety” at the Museum of Tolerance
NewGround executive director Aziza Hasan speaks at the Museum of Tolerance in April as part of a discussion on “White Anxiety,” the fourth installment in Katie Couric’s America Inside Out. The event was held at the Museum of Tolerance and covered by the Jewish Journal.
27 December 2015
Executive Director Aziza Hasan Featured on Yahoo News & Ozy
Yahoo News and Ozy publishes a profile of NewGround Executive Director Aziza Hasan and highlight her work. In addition to providing background on Aziza’s history with interfaith work, both articles highlight Aziza’s skill of building interfaith coalitions, specifically between Muslims and Jews at NewGround.
NewGround Named a Top Innovative Organization by Slingshot
NewGround has been named one of America’s top fifty innovative Jewish organizations for the third consecutive year by Slingshot. We are so honored to have been included in this trailblazing community of Jewish organizations, and would like to extend our deepest gratitude to all of our supporters. We are is especially proud of our fellowship and High School initiatives, were cited as a means of producing “emerging leaders who forge change.” NewGround is excited to continue working toward sustaining the future of Jewish life and engagement, motivating new audiences to participate in their work, and responding to the needs of individuals and communities.
17 February 2016
KPCC and Sinai Temple Feature NewGround Day School Exchange Program
An article entitled “2 schools hope to break down stereotypes” weaves the story of the founding of the Jewish-Muslim Day School Exchange program by NewGround Change-Makers Aysha Mehdi and Rebecca Berger.
Sinai Temple celebrated the success of the Day School Exchange program in a video that quickly went viral, with over 22,000 views and counting!
Over sixty 7th and 8th graders attending Muslim (New Horizon) and Jewish (Sinai Akiba Academy) schools learned about the other faith community through more than a text book this year. With the help of NewGround, these schools integrated visits to each other’s campuses to learn firsthand about the practices and practitioners of Islam and Judaism. Click here to learn more about the program.
Upworthy Features NewGround
Change-Makers in the News
- 72_Virgins: NewGround change-
makers are debunking stereotypes. The #72Virgins change-makers are featured on the homepage of the Huffington Post Religion website today! KCRW’s “Good Food” will feature our 72 Virgins Mocktail Workshops on air this Saturday, May 16th at 11 AM. Sign up here to join the last session on Monday, 5/18. Enjoy a drink recipe here.
Two Faiths, One Prayer: –The Jewish Journal featured the #2Faiths1Prayer change-makers in two moving articles: Groundbreaking Day of Prayer; Fellow Responds to Shootings. Here’s a video sneak peak into the experience — stay tuned for an amazing documentary to follow! Click here for more picture & here for reflections from this historic Day of Prayer, as NewGround’s current fellows & friends prayed side-by-side publicly across LA.
Awards, Accolades & Awesomeness
NewGround Receives “Inter-Faith Leadership Award” From the Valley Inter-Faith Council On May 6th, 2010, 300 community leaders and activists gathered at the Valley Interfaith Council’s annual awards dinner where NewGround was given the “Inter-Faith Leadership Award.” Respected for their great work in the community, VIC audience members included a whole range of Los Angeles City Council members, interfaith leaders, and congressional staffers.
In 2013, NewGround was named the “2013 Faith-based Organization of the Year” by Governor Brown of California. The honor is awarded to an outstanding faith-based organization that actively engages volunteers in addressing community needs. There ceremony honoring NewGround was held at the State Capitol in Sacramento and was led by California Volunteers.
NewGround Awarded Prestigious Grant
Haaretz Features NewGround
The Israeli newspaper Haaretz features NewGround in a story of what collaboration looks like between Muslims and Jews above and beyond Israeli-Palestinian politics. The article is titled “The new Jews of L.A.: A Muslim-Jewish partnership breaks new ground in Los Angeles.”
Even in the easygoing, laid-back environment of modern-day Los Angeles, bringing Muslims and Jews together to talk about the Arab-Israeli conflict is viewed as playing with fire. For decades, “the Muslim-Jewish dialogue that existed in L.A. only took place at the leadership level, among a handful of left-leaning Muslim and Jewish leaders,” recalls Edina Lekovic, policy and programming director for the Muslim Public Affairs Council. When it happened, the conversation would usually stick to religion and stay away from politics. “And then, anytime there was a political conflict overseas it would derail whatever was happening.
We Were Speaking of Faith
NewGround featured on “Speaking of Faith” with Krista Tippett.
DESCRIPTION: Curiosity Over Assumptions – Inter-Religiosity Meets a New Generation
This week, Speaking of Faith shines a light on the friendship and shared passion of two young activists, Jewish and Muslim, who are part of a new generation of inter-religious encounter. Together these young women are implementing templates of practical relationship that value curiosity over assumptions and understand conflict as part of any relationship. Krista Tippett explores what they are learning from their work in the microcosm of Los Angeles – and the larger universe of risky innovation
of which they are part.
Telling Our Stories with Story Corps
NewGround folks participated in a project called Story Corps, where “over 50,000 people have shared life stories with family and friends…Each conversation is recorded on a free CD to share, and is preserved at the Library of Congress. StoryCorps is one of the largest oral history projects of its kind, and millions
listen to our broadcasts on public radio and the web.” The website telling NewGround’s story can be found here.
Catch Us On the Road
Sarah Bassin and Aziza Hasan presented innovative models for interfaith engagement with a paper titled “Making the Personal Public” at the 2013 Doha International Center for Interfaith Dialogue Conference in Doha, Qatar. Edina Lekovic spoke about NewGround at the 2011 J Street Conference in Washington, DC. http://conference.jstreet.org/Working_Together_American_Jewish_and_Muslim_Communities
Previously, Newground Co-facilitators Malka Fenyvesi & Aziza Hasan were busy discussing NewGround’s important work at the Interfaith Youth Core Annual Conference Leadership for a Relgiously Diverse World and J Street’s 1st Annual Conference Driving Change, Securing Peace in 2009.
At the IFYC conference, Malka Fenyvesi & Aziza Hasan led a timely workshop titled “Wrestling with the Elephant: Crafting Constructive Conversations about the Israeli Palestinian Conflict.” click here to read what Aziza wrote about their time w/IFYC
At J Street 2009 Conference, Malka Fenyvesi participated in a panel discussion titled “How We Stop Talking to Ourselves: Innovative Ways to Broaden the Conversation.” click here to read more about the discussion
NewGround in the News:
- “Moving and shaking: Dodgers, ICRF Women of Action gala and more.” The Jewish Journal. 16 June 2016.
- “Moving and shaking: OUR HOUSE Run for Hope, Religious Pluralism Day and more.” The Jewish Journal. 5 May 2016.
- “2 schools hope to break down stereotypes.” KPCC. 17 February 2016.
- “Mid-Career Artists Need our Support, too.” The Canadian Jewish News. 31 January 2016.
- “Calendar: January 22-28: Muslim and Jewish Community Building in L.A. to be Discussed.“ Jewish Journal. 20 January 2016.
- “What It’s Like to Fight Islamophobia After San Bernardino.” Los Angeles Magazine. 18 January 2016.
- “WATCH: Jews and Muslims pray together.” The Jewish Standard. 17 January 2016.
- “Moving Tribute to Father.” The Jewish Journal. 2 January 2016.
- “Aziza Hasan Builds Muslim-Jewish Partnerships.” Yahoo, Ozy. 24 December 2015.
- “WSU alumna’s interfaith dialogue places her on Obama’s Advisory Council.” Wichita State University News. 5 November 2015.
- “Moving and shaking: Janet and Jake Farber honored; Aziza Hasan appointed by Obama and more.” The Jewish Journal. 15 October 2015.
- “Hasan named to presidential advisory council.” Bethel College. 25 September 2015.
- “Obama names 18 new faith-based council advisers.” Crux. 26 September 2015.
- “President Obama Announces More Key Administration Post.”The White House, Office of the Press Secretary. 24 September 2015.
- “Why one Valley woman is hopeful the U.S. will see a Muslim president.” Los Angeles Daily News. 22 September 2015.
- At Rosh Hashanah and Hajj, bridging two cultures through common roots.” The Jewish Journal. Andrea Hodos and Aziza Hasan. 9 September 2015.
- “Next-gen leaders jump from startups to institutional stalwarts.” J Weekly. 13 August 2015.
- “Breaking Down Stereotypes of Muslims” Leslie Marshall Show, 20 August 2015.
- KPFK SWANA Region Radio Features NewGround, KPFK, 13 July 2015.
- “Andrea Hodos: Dancing at the Boundaries.” Steinhardt Foundation for Jewish Life. 2015.
- “Muslims and Jews Forge Friendships Over Dinner.” Jewish Journal. 1 July 2015.
- “Will Love Win?” By David Suissa, President of Jewish Journal. 1 July 2015.
- “How I Became the Women’s Mosque of America’s First Khateebah.” Altmuslimah. 26 June 2015.
- “LGBT Muslims And Jews Break Bread To Find Common Ground At Iftar Shabbat Dinner.” Huffington Post Religion. 20 June 2015.
- “Here’s what happens when a group of Jews and Muslims gathered for the most basic gesture of faith.” Upworthy. 10 June 2015.
- “Authentic People Person.” Jewish Journal. 10 June 2015.
- “Building Interfaith Bridges.” Jewish Journal. 10 June 2015.
- “Muslim – Jewish Exchange Days at Los Angeles Schools.” Facing History and Ourselves. 8 June 2015.
- “Joining Two Faiths Together in One Synced Prayer.” The Jerusalem Post. 7 June 2015.
- “US Muslims and Jews Pray Side by Side.” Morocco World News. 2 June 2015.
- “US MUSLIMS, JEWS UNITE IN ONE PRAYER.” Mirajnews. 1 June 2015.
- “US Muslims, Jews unite in prayer at Los Angeles beach.” Iinanews. 1 June 2015.
- “Muslim and Jews Spent a Day of Prayer Together and The Result was Beautiful.” Washington Weekly News June 2015.
- “US Muslims, Jews Unite in One Prayer.” OnIslam & Newspapers 31 May 2015.
- “Jews, Muslims hold prayer sessions throughout LA.” Al-Arabiya News. 31 May 2015.
- “Jews And Muslims Unite In Prayer Under Project ‘Two Faiths, One Prayer.'” Egyptian Streets. 31 May 2015.
- “Two faiths, one prayer: Muslims and Jews come together to pray.” The Express Tribune. 30 May 2015.
- “Two faiths, one prayer: Muslims and Jews come together to pray.” Shafaqna 30 May 2015.
- “Muslims And Jews Spent A Day Of Prayer Together And The Result Was Beautiful.” Huffington Post. 29 May 2015.
- “Muslims and Jews Pray Together in LA.” Muslims for Allah 28 May 2015.
- “Different Faiths, Similar Faiths.” Al-Agnabiya. 28 May 2015.
- “Muslims and Jews Unite Under Two Faiths One Prayer.” Carbonated. June 2015.
- “Two Faiths one Prayer.” Crowdrise. June 2015.
- “72 Virgins Group Brings Jews And Muslims Together Over Delicious Mocktails.” Huffington Post. 14 May 2015.
- “NewGround Fellow Responds to Shootings in Garland, TX.” Jewish Journal. 7 May 2015.
- “A groundbreaking day of prayer.” Jewish Journal. 7 May 2015.
- “U.S. Muslims ask why their religion’s condemnation of violence often goes unheard.” Los Angeles Times. 9 April 2015.
- “Islamophobia: Discovering the Impact on More Than Just Muslims.” Jewish Journal. 1 April 2015.
- “I miss his voice: Remembering Maher Hathout.” Jewish Journal. 12 January 2015.
- “L.A.’s Jews and Muslims partner in ‘twinning’ events.” Jewish Journal. 19 November 2014.
- “Promising Practice: Engaging Young Muslims and Jews in LA.” Harvard University Pluralism Project. November 2014.
- “Standing Together On New Ground.” Community Partners. 2014.
- “The Major Fund.” California Community Foundation. 2014.
- “Do you believe in ‘MAJIC’?.” Jewish Journal. 11 June 2014.
- “Passover the Christian Extremists.” Patheos.com. 22 April 2014.
- “Moving and shaking.” Jewish Journal.10 April 2014.
- “The New Jews of LA: A Muslim-Jewish Partnership for Change Breaks New Ground in LA“. Haaretz. 5 March 2014.
- “NewGround: The Story of Great Success.” The Muslim Observer. 20 January 2014.
- “Small steps on NewGround for Muslims and Jews.” Jewish Journal. 30 December 2013.
- “Accolades for Nasreen Haroon at Second Annual Trailblazing Awards.” Pakistan Link. 21 November 2013.
- “A Jew and A Muslim? It’s Not Just Talk.” Jewish Journal. 31 July 2013.
- “Interfaith Teens Win Award.” Jewish Journal. 29 May 2013.
- “Muslim and Jewish Teens Honored for Fighting Hunger.” KABC Los Angeles. 28 April 2013.
- “Listening and Achieving the Impossible Dream.” Interfaith Observer. 15 March 2013.
- “Muslim, Jewish Students Meet in Pasadena for Interfaith Exchange.” Pasadena Sun. 7 March 2013.
- “Finding holy ground in Pico-Union.” Jewish Journal. 6 February 2013.
- “Interfaith Interaction: Reimagining Jewish-Muslim Relations.” Reform Judaism Magazine. 3 February 2013.
- “California Group Helps Young Muslims and Jews Find Common Ground.” Voice of America. 17 January 2013.
- “Muslim-Jewish Camaraderie Is Alive and Well in Los Angeles.” Action Now Network. 12 December 2012.
- A Muslim and a Jew Walk Into a Bar“. Yediot America. (Hebrew Language). 11 December 2012.
- “Joshua Venture Group Names 8 Fellows To Receive $100,000 Each.” JTA. 10 September 2012.
- “Joshua Venture Group Announces 2012-2014 Cohort.” e-Jewish Philanthropy. 10 September 2012.
- “Two Generations of Pakistani-Americans in LA Observe Ramadan.” KPCC 89.3FM. 17 August 2012.
- “At Joint Iftar Celebration, Muslim-Jewish High School Council Launched.” Jewish Journal. 15 August 2012.
- “Temple and Mosque Collaboration Seeks to Become National Model.” KPCC 89.3 FM. 8 June 2012.
- “Diversity Ground Breaks NewGround for LA Muslims and Jews.” Neon Tommy. 6 May 2012.
- “Remember, There is No Other.” Jewish Journal 16 April 2012
- “L.A.’s Muslims, Jews Must Join Against Hate.” Jewish Journal 4 April 2012
- “How I Define a Mensch: Seven People on Unique and Holy Paths.” Jewish Journal. 9 March 2012.
- “Muslims and Jews Break Down Walls, Find Common Ground.” Jewish Journal. 11 December 2011.
- “A Bold and Brilliant Strategy to Build Working Relationships Between Young Professional Muslims and Jews.” Action Now Network. 22 September 2011.
- “10 Years After 9/11- How have we changed?” Jewish Journal. 8 September 2011.
- “Muslims & Jews working together, huh?” Humanitarian Day. 29 April 2010.
- “Jewish-Muslim study course grounds interfaith dialogue in sacred text.” JTA. 9 February 2010.
- “Speaking for Peace.” Patheos.com. 4 November 2009.
- “Muslim-Jewish Text Study.” Jewish Journal. 24 June 2009.
- “Jewish Muslim Dialogue Activist Killed By Drowning In Panama.” Vos Iz Neias. 26 July 2008.
- “Who Says Halal and Kosher Don’t Mix?” Inter Press Service 19 March 2007
- “Promoting dialogue between faith traditions.” Los Angeles Times. 17 March 2007.
- “City politicos celebrate launch of NewGround; Iranian Jews.” Jewish Journal. 15 March 2007.
- “Breaking new ground: Jewish, Muslim groups’ program encourages leaders to see the ‘other’ as friend.” Jewish Journal. 18 January 2007.