NewGround believes in the power of personal relationships as a critical tool for withstanding international events and remaining committed to local results. We create an environment where all people are valued for sharing their perspective. That’s why we ask questions rather than jump to conclusions.
We engage with Muslim and Jewish groups across political, ethnic and religious spectrums, affirming the right of communities to articulate their own definitions.
Fellows face the Israeli-Palestinian conflict head-on, while understanding that their greatest impact is local rather than international.
We select emerging leaders with growing influence to maximize transformation in both Muslim and Jewish communities.
NewGround encourages creativity and innovation as a response to challenge and conflict.
Curiosity Over Assumptions
- NewGround seeks to foster an atmosphere in which fellows learn to ask questions rather than jump to conclusions when they are challenged in their beliefs
Relationships Before Politics
— NewGround believes firmly in the power of investing in personal relationships as a critical tool for withstanding international events and remaining committed to local results. NewGround shies away from an issues-driven approach that makes engagement conditional upon agreement and therefore vulnerable to dissolving. In placing relationships at the center of our agenda, NewGround creates a sustainable, long-term foundation for ongoing communal relations.
Plurality Over Parity
— NewGround looks for a diverse pool of Muslim and Jewish fellows who represent a wide spectrum of belief within their own communities, and explore that diversity within the fellowship program.
Local Over International
— NewGround faces the Israeli-Palestinian conflict head-on during the program, while also understanding that our greatest impact is local rather than international
Respect for Self-Definition
– NewGround affirms the right of communities to articulate their own boundaries and definitions and resist the temptation to define another group by what we believe they ought to be.
Safe Open Space
– NewGround strives to create an environment in which all people are valued for sharing their perspectives. Because we believe firmly in the importance of an inclusive approach, we engage with Muslim and Jewish groups across political, ethnic and religious spectrums.
Nimble and Responsive
– NewGround seeks out talented and dynamic leaders with their fingers on the pulse of their communities and spheres of influence to share our work. We encourage innovation to respond to evolving communal needs and events.
OUR VALUES IN ACTION
- So proud of our change-maker project organized by Deanna Neil who partnered with Hadir Elsayad to bring together children from the SIJCC – Silverlake Independent Jewish […]
- Muslims and Jews Organized Relief -- The MAJOR Fund The founding members of MAJOR came together through their participation in NewGround. A partnership of Jews and Muslims, their goal is to assist people in need, regardless of their faith, in the critical areas of clean water, education and healthcare. The MAJOR Fund's two-fold mission is to increase a sense of community locally and share that community through global humanitarian projects. To get involved, click here.